Are you in the market for a new laptop? If you are, and you’re looking for best laptops for gaming and school under $500, then you’re in luck.
Whether you’re a student who needs a new computer for schoolwork, or you’re a gamer who wants a laptop that can handle the latest games, there are plenty of great options available for under $500.
Best Laptops For Gaming And School Under $500
In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the best laptops for gaming and school under $500, and help you decide which one is right for you.
So, what are the best laptops for gaming and school under $500? Here are our top picks:
1: Acer Aspire 5 – Winner:
- AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Hexa-Core Mobile Processor with AMD Radeon Graphics
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- 8GB DDR4 Onboard Memory and 256GB NVMe SSD
- 1 - USB 3.2 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps) | 2 - USB 3.2 Gen 1 Ports (one with Power-off Charging) | 1 - USB 2.0 Port | 1 - HDMI 2.0 Port with HDCP support
- Wi-Fi 6 | Backlit Keyboard | Up to 11 Hours Battery Life | Comes with Windows 11 Home
Acer certainly tops our list when it comes to the best laptops under $500.
It’s got a large screen, great specs for gaming and school, plus a super affordable price tag.
Acer’s Aspire line has always been a great option for budget-minded shoppers, and the Aspire E 15 is no different.
The Aspire E 15 is outfitted with a AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Hexa-Core Mobile Processor which will easily handle day-to-day tasks and some light gaming.
The 15.65″ Full HD IPS display is perfect for watching movies or working on school projects, and the AMD Radeon graphics card will provide solid performance for gaming.
You’ll also get a generous amount of storage space with the 256GB NVMe SSD, and the battery life is impressive at up to 11 hours.
The Aspire E 15 also comes with Windows 11 Home, making it a great choice for students or anyone who needs a reliable and affordable laptop.
It also has a backlit keyboard, which is a nice touch. Overall, the Acer Aspire E 15 is a great all-around laptop that won’t break the bank.
– AMD Ryzen Mobile Processor with Radeon Graphics
– 15.65″ Full HD IPS Display
– 256GB NVMe SSD
– Up to 11 hours battery life
2: ASUS Chromebook C423 – Runner Up:
- 14 inch HD 1366x768 Anti-Glare NanoEdge display featuring an ultra-narrow bezel with anti-glare coating to reduce reflections.
- Powered by the Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350 Processor (2M Cache, up to 2.4 GHz) for fast and snappy performance.
- The HD display has a durable 180 degree hinge that can be laid flat to share content easily.
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM; 32GB eMMC storage and USB Type-C (Gen 1) and Type-A ports.
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time.
Asus has been making great laptops for years now, and the C423 is no exception. It’s a great laptop for both gaming and school, and it’s under $500.
The specs are great for the price, and it comes with a 14″ HD display, an Intel Dual Core Celeron Processor, and 32GB of storage.
Its anti-glare coating is a great feature, and the overall design is both stylish and practical.
It also has a USB Type-C port and runs on Chrome OS.
It runs on Chrome OS – an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today.
It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time.
The only downside is that it doesn’t have a lot of RAM, but for the price, it’s a great laptop.
If you’re looking for a great laptop for gaming and school, the Asus C423 is a great option.
– 14.0″ 180 Degree HD NanoEdge Display
– Intel Dual Core Celeron Processor
– 32GB Storage
– 4GB RAM
3: ASUS VivoBook 15 – Powerful Processor:
- 15.6 inch Full HD NanoEdge bezel display with stunning 83% screen-to-body ratio
- Powerful Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor 1.2 GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
- 4GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and Windows 10 Home in S Mode
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard along with a fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Comprehensive connections including fingerprint sensor, USB 3.2 Type-A (Gen1), USB 3.2 Type-C (Gen1), USB 2.0, SD card reader, and HDMI
Asus Vivobook has some of the best specs for a laptop under $500. It has a large 15.6 inches display with a very powerful Intel Core i35-100G51 processor.
NanoEdge Bezel display gives the screen an 83% screen to body ratio which is very good for gaming as well as other activities.
The laptop also comes with a backlit keyboard, which is great for gaming or working in low light conditions.
It has a fingerprint sensor-activated via Windows Hello, and also includes a USB Type-C port.
The Asus Vivobook also has 128GB of solid-state storage and a free upgrade to Windows 11 when it becomes available.
One of the best things about this laptop is that it’s very thin and light, making it easy to carry around with you.
The only downside is that it doesn’t have a dedicated graphics card, so you won’t be able to play the latest games on high settings.
– 15.60 inches Full HD LED Display (1920 x 1080)
– Intel Core i35-100G51 Processor (up to 34 GHz)
– 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.21 Solid State Drive
– Windows 11 Operating System
– Fingerprint Sensor Activated via Windows Hello
– USB Type -C Port
4: HP Pavilion – Large Storage:
- AMD Ryzen 5 4500U (2.3 GHz base clock, up to 4.0 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
- 15.6" diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080)
- 8GB DDR4-SDRAM; 512GB SSD
- 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C 10Gbps signaling rate (USB PowerDelivery, DisplayPort 1.4,2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate,1 Headphone/microphone combo 1 AC smart pin, 1 HDMI 2.0
- Windows 10 Home
HP is one of the most popular computer manufacturers, and for good reason. Since it’s a gaming laptop, the HP Pavilion has great specs for the price.
It’s powered by an AMD Ryzen processor and has plenty of storage space with a 512GB SSD.
Up to 4.0 GHz max boost clock and a 15.06″ FHD screen, the HP Pavilion is ideal for gaming and other graphically-intensive tasks.
The 8GB of SDRAM ensures that you can have multiple programs open at the same time without any lag.
Ports include: USB Type-C, USB Type-A, HDMI, and a headphone/microphone combo jack.
The HP Pavilion is also affordably priced at under $500. The laptop also comes with Windows Hello support, so you can log in with just a look or a touch.
Plus, it comes in a beautiful Horizon Blue color. The only downside is that it’s a little on the heavy side, weighing in at almost five pounds.
But overall, the HP Pavilion is a great laptop for gaming and other demanding tasks, and it won’t break the bank.
– AMD Ryzen processor
– 512GB SSD
– 15.06″ FHD screen
– Windows Hello support
– Horizon Blue color
– Dimensions: 14.24″ x 0.78″ x 0.78″
– Weight: approximately five pounds
5: Flagship HP 14 Chromebook – Google Chrome OS Installed:
- Equipped With The Most Powerful and Fast Intel Celeron Processor N Series, 1.1 GHz base clock, up to 2.6 GHz max boost clock, 4 MB cache, 4 Threads.
- 14.0-inch diagonal HD SVA anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit display (1366 x 768) I Intel UHD Graphics 605 Integrated
- 4GB RAM | 64GB eMMC Internal Storage
- 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-C 5Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.2); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 microSD media card reader
- Google Chrome OS, HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone, Full-size island-style keyboard, Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo MU-MIMO supported, Audio by B&O; Dual speakers :
HP’s Flagship Chromebook 14 has a lot to offer for just under $500.
It’s equipped with a powerful Intel Celeron processor which is perfect for gaming and other demanding tasks.
The 14-inch HD display is perfect for watching movies or working on school projects. And the best part is that it comes with Google Chrome OS installed.
Its superspeed USB ports allow you to transfer data at lightning-fast speeds.
The microSD media card reader makes it easy to transfer files from your camera or other devices.
Its RAM is 4GB. The HP Chromebook 14 also comes with a one-year limited warranty.
This Chromebook also has a built-in webcam, full-size keyboard, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.
Its audio is by Bang & Olufsen and it has dual speakers.
So if you’re looking for a powerful and affordable Chromebook, the HP Flagship 14 is a great option.
– Intel Celeron N5000 processor
– 14-inch HD display
– Google Chrome OS
– USB Type-C and Type-A ports
– MicroSD media card reader
– HP Wide Vision HD Camera
– Full-size island-style keyboard
– Bang & Olufsen audio
– Dual speakers
6: Dell Inspiron 3583 – Powerful Processor:
- Dell 15.6 HD 1366x768 LED-backlit Display
- Intel Celeron N4020 CPU
- DDR4 4GB memory, 128GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD storage
- Windows 10 Home
This 15 inches laptop from Dell is one of the best laptops under $500.
It has a LED-backlit display and an Intel Celeron N4020 CPU.
The memory is DDR and it has 128GB of storage. It also has USB ports and Windows operating system.
With these specs , the Dell Inspiron 358 is a great choice for gaming and school.
The only downside is that it does not have a dedicated graphics card, but the Intel UHD Graphics 610 is good for casual gaming and general use.
– LED-backlit display
– Intel Celeron N4020 CPU
– DDR memory
– 128GB storage
7: Lenovo IdeaPad 3 – Generous Storage:
- 10th Generation Intel Dual-Core i3-1005G1 Processor, up to 3.5GHz.
- 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) Anti-Glare Display Backlight Display, AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
- Modem description: Cable
- System RAM type: DDR4_SDRAM
Lenovo has been making waves in the laptop world as of late, and for good reason.
The IdeaPad series offers a great value proposition for those who need a reliable machine without breaking the bank.
This particular model is best suited for gaming and school, as it comes equipped with an Intel Core i35-100G15 processor and AMD Radeon R55 Graphics.
Storage is handled by a generous 256GB SSD, and RAM comes in at a healthy eight gigabytes.
The display is a 15.66-inch anti-glare LED backlit panel, and the webcam has a physical shutter for privacy.
The dual array microphone is a nice touch, as is the Dolby Audio-enhanced speaker system.
At just under four and a half pounds, it’s also relatively light for a gaming laptop.
The main downside to this model is the battery life; Lenovo rates it at only seven and a half hours.
– Intel Core i35-100G15 Processor
– AMD Radeon R55 Graphics
– 256GB SSD
– Eight GB RAM
– 15.66-inch anti-glare LED backlit panel
– 0.31MP camera with physical shutter and dual array microphone
8: Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 – Excellent Design:
- Work from home, school, or anywhere with the outstanding combination of performance, connectivity, and entertainment enabled by 10th generation InteI Core processors. The Lenovo Flex 5 offers intelligent performance features that adapt to you for a personalized, intuitive, and responsive experience
- This 2-in-1 laptop combines a keyboard and touchscreen to make it easy to interact with everything on your display. You can also use the Lenovo digital pen (sold separately) to quickly write, click or drag files right on the screen
- The 13.3-inch FHD display in this slim, light 360° convertible Chromebook offers beautiful visuals, while narrow bezels minimize distractions. Two user-facing stereo speakers keep you immersed in the experience
- Use your Google account to easily access files, videos, music, and documents stored on the cloud from anywhere. With up to 10 hours of battery life, you'll stay productive
- Connect with the built-in webcam, 2 USB Type-C ports, a USB Type-A port, and an audio jack. It also has the latest Intel Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 a fast, reliable connection
This 13 inches laptop is a great device for both gaming and school.
Its performance is amazing, with an intuitive and responsive experience. Its Intel Core i3-10110U processor and Chrome OS make it perfect for fast gaming and browsing.
The Lenovo Flex has a great design, and its 360° convertible makes it easy to use in different positions.
The 2-in-1 laptop also has a keyboard and touchscreen that makes it easy to use. The laptop’s FHD display is perfect for gaming and watching videos.
The laptop also has two user-facing stereo speakers that provide an immersive experience.
Lenovo digital pen is available separately) to easily write, click or drag files right on the screen.
The Chromebook has a fast and reliable connection with the latest Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology.
The laptop has a great webcam, USB ports, and an audio jack. You can access Google account from anywhere to get files, videos, music, and documents stored on the cloud.
The FHD display is perfect for gaming and movies and the laptop also has a great design.
The laptop is also lightweight and portable, making it easy to take with you on the go.
The battery life is also impressive, with up to ten hours of use on a single charge.
Overall, the Lenovo Chromebook Flex is an amazing laptop for both gaming and school.
Its performance is great, its design is perfect for different uses, and its connectivity is top-notch.
– 13.0″ FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Touchscreen
– Intel Core i33-1010U Processor
– Chrome OS
– 64GB eMMC Solid State Drive
– LPDDR33 SDRAM,
– Intel UHD Graphics
– 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth v.50
– Webcam, USB Type-C, USB Type-A
– Audio jack
9: HP Stream 14 – Large Storage:
- Laptop for work, school and play: With office 365 and 1 TB of cloud storage, this device combines functionality, connectivity, style, and value
- Essential productivity: This nimble laptop delivers the essential productivity and entertainment you want for school or home, without slowing you down
- Office 365 for one year: Get full access to Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, and 1 TB of One Drive storage for 1 year
- Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 processor, dual-core, 1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.6 GHz burst frequency
- Display: 14-inch diagonal HD SVA bright view WLED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
HP Stream 14 inches is perfect for school work and gaming.
It has an Intel Celeron N4000 processor which is dual-core and has a base frequency of 2.6 GHz.
It also has a 14-inch diagonal HD SVA bright view WLED-backlit display.
The storage is upgradable to 64 GB eMMC and the memory is not upgradeable.
The HP Stream 14 inches also has office 365 for one year which gives you full access to Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Access.
OneDrive storage is also included for one year.
This nimble laptop is perfect for those who want a productivity and entertainment device without slowing down.
Without a doubt, the HP Stream 14 is a great choice for school going students and gamers.
– 14-inch diagonal HD SVA bright view WLED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
– Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 processor
– Office 365 for one year
– Full access to Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Access
– 64 GB eMMC storage
10: Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 – Long Battery Life:
- TWEIGHT 2-in-1 DESIGN At just under 3 pounds, the Chromebook Plus is incredibly lightweight. You can easily fold it into tablet mode for comfortable viewing and browsing
- BUILT-IN PEN Experience the power of the incredibly precise built-in pen that never needs charging. It's always ready to write, sketch, edit, magnify and even take screenshots
- DUAL CAMERA Fold your laptop into tablet mode to capture clear shots and even zoom in for a closer look with the revolutionary 13MP world-facing camera with autofocus
- CHROME OS AND GOOGLE PLAY STORE Create, explore and browse on a bigger screen with the tools you use every day —all on the secure Chrome OS
- POWER AND PERFORMANCE Tackle anything with a long-lasting battery and Intel Celeron processor. Store more with 64GB of built-in memory and add up to 400GB with a microSD card.Bluetooth v4.0
Samsung is known for making great laptops, and the Chromebook Plus is no exception.
It’s a great choice for anyone looking for a laptop that can do it all.
The Chromebook Plus is a great choice for gaming, school, and everyday use.
It has a long-lasting battery, a powerful processor, and plenty of storage.
This under 3 pounds weighted Chromebook can easily be folded into tablet mode for comfortable viewing and browsing.
It has a built-in pen that is always ready to write, sketch, edit, magnify, and even take screenshots.
The Chromebook Plus also has a dual camera that can be used to capture clear shots and even zoom in for a closer look.
It runs on Chrome OS and has access to the Google Play Store.
The Chromebook Plus is a great choice for anyone looking for the best laptop under $500.
– 2-in-1 design
– Intel Celeron processor
– 13MP world-facing camera
– Chrome OS
– 12.20″ display
– 64GB storage
– MicroSD card support
– Bluetooth v.40
Buying Guide – Things To Consider When Buying
When you are out there in the market, looking for the best laptops under $500 it is important to keep certain factors in mind:
The processor is the brain of your computer. It handles all the calculations and processes that make your computer work.
A good processor will make your computer faster and smoother.
You should look for a laptop with an Intel Core i processor.
These are the best processors on the market and will be able to handle anything you throw at them.
2. Graphics Card:
This is what will render all the images and video on your screen.
You want to make sure that it is a good quality card so that you can enjoy smooth gameplay and crisp visuals.
Another thing to consider is the amount of VRAM (Video Random Access Memory) that the card has. The more VRAM, the better.
You should look for a laptop with at least a GTX 1050 Ti graphics card.
This will be able to handle most games on medium to high settings.
It is also important to make sure that the graphics card is from a reputable brand such as NVIDIA or AMD.
These are the two best brands on the market and you can be sure that their products will perform well.
3. Battery Life:
This is an important factor to consider because you want your laptop to last through long gaming sessions or long days at school.
The battery life will also be affected by the other components in your laptop such as the processor and graphics card.
You should look for a laptop with a battery life of at least six hours.
This will give you enough time to play games or work on projects without having to worry about your laptop dying on you.
Another thing to consider is the type of battery.
Lithium-ion batteries are the best type of battery for laptops because they last longer and are more durable than other types of batteries.
The display is important so you can see everything clearly.
You also want to make sure that the colors are accurate and the visuals are sharp.
You should look for a laptop with a Full HD display.
This will give you the best visuals possible and you will be able to see everything clearly.
Another thing to consider is the size of the display.
You want to make sure that it is large enough so that you can see everything but not too large where it becomes bulky and difficult to carry around.
A good size for a gaming laptop is 15 inches.
This will give you plenty of space to see everything without being too large.
You have to make sure that your laptop is easy to carry around.
You also want to make sure that it is not too heavy so that it becomes a burden to carry.
The ideal weight for a gaming laptop is between four and five pounds.
This will be light enough for you to carry around but still have all the power that you need.
6. Build Quality:
Your laptop should have a good build quality. You don’t want it to feel flimsy or like it is going to fall apart easily.
A laptop made out of aluminum is going to be the best choice because it is durable and light.
Likewise, you want to make sure that the keyboard is comfortable to type on and has a backlight.
This will allow you to play games in the dark or in low light conditions.
The trackpad should also be large and easy to use.
You don’t want it to be too small where it is difficult to maneuver.
Your laptop should come with a warranty. This will protect your investment in case anything goes wrong.
A good warranty should last for at least one year. Some companies even offer extended warranties for an additional cost.
This is something that you should consider if you are planning on using your laptop for a long time.
The storage is important because you want to make sure that you have enough space for all your games and files.
You should look for a laptop with at least a 256GB SSD. This will give you enough space for most people.
However, if you have a lot of games or files, then you may want to look for a laptop with a larger SSD or even an HDD.
An HDD will give you more space but it will be slower than an SSD.
With enough you can connect all your peripherals. You should look for a laptop with at least three USB ports.
This will allow you to connect a mouse, keyboard, and other peripherals.
You should also look for a laptop with an HDMI port so that you can connect it to a monitor or TV.
Lastly, you want to make sure that the laptop has a headphone jack so you can use headphones.
I hope this guide helped you in finding the best laptop for gaming and school under $500.
There are the most important factors to consider when looking for laptops.
Make sure to keep these in mind when you are shopping so that you can find the perfect one for you.
- 17 Best Laptops For Grad School With A Buying Guide - May 16, 2022
- 4 Best MacBooks For Live Streaming + Buying Guide Explained - May 16, 2022
- 10 Asus Laptops For Graphic Design + Buying Guide (2022) - May 11, 2022